Classics are in.
Okay, I guess they are technically always “in” because they are called classics for a reason. These books and authors have been able to stand the tests of time (for the most part) and they continue to entertain and inspire new versions.
And the cool thing? Classics can include spooky reads, too.
Do not disregard the classic creepy story. It may haunt you if you do.
I am here to remind you of some classics that thrive in the spooky, autumnal season. Here are some great options that you should check out for yourself.
*All synopses come from Goodreads. The Goodreads page for each book is linked in the novel’s title.
My recommended Poe stories:
- “The Black Cat”
- “The Tell-Tale Heart”
- “The Cask of Amontillado”
- “The Fall of the House of Usher”
WHY YOU SHOULD READ HIS STORIES: He is the king of horror stories. Period.
- Explores an evil, violent persona within a single person
- Highlights the struggle between good and evil
- Written in a police-style narrative
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: An eerie reflection of morality, this book will make readers question the power each person holds.
- About a young woman who is an aspiring poet
- Questioning of identity and social acceptance
- Reflects on the “woman’s place”
- Highlights mental illness and the possibility of falling into “madness”
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: While this isn’t a spooky read, it is a psychological, reflective classic that makes authors ponder purpose and identity.
- Collection of 20 short stories for variety
- Focused on the supernatural and macabre
- Written by famous mystery writer, but with a horror twist
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: Agatha Christie is a master author with the ability to plague her readers with thrilling suspense and, in this case, fear.
- Search for eternal youth and beauty
- Philosophical focus; thematically haunting
- The power of a portrait, its artist, and its muse
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: This introspective novel will give you chilly, reflective vibes.
- Scientific experiment gone wrong
- The creation of a vengeful monster
- Told in letters
- Set in Switzerland
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: Fall/winter are the perfect time for a monster story set in the atmospheric North. Discover the deeper secrets of this fateful monster story.
- Takes place in a castle
- Eastern Europe setting
- Stars the infamous Count Dracula
- Protagonist finds himself imprisoned within the castle
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: There isn’t anything much spookier than an atmospheric book filled with vampires. And no, do NOT expect Edward Cullen in this one!
- Intense romance between Rebecca and a wealthy widower
- Hasty marriage proposal
- Haunted estate in the countryside
- His wife’s angry, threatening spirit seeking to destroy their marriage
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: A dead wife meddling with her husband’s new relationship. What could go wrong, right?
- Story about an orphan (Jane) finding her place in the world
- Interaction with a troubled spirit at Thornfield Hall
- Complicated romance
- Secrets hidden within the walls of the hall
WHY THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU: Romance mixed with secrets and spirits. Need I say more?